Published Date : 2020-12-21 (Modified Date : 2026-08-14)
Originally established by Srinivasa Malla in 1666 and later renovated in the 1730s and 1850s, Mulchowk ("main courtyard") is the heart of Patan Darbar and the hub of its ritual activities. This magnificent quadrangle with its large open courtyard is almost twice as large as the adjacent Sundari Chowk and slightly larger than the Mulchowks of Kathmandu and Bhaktapur. The courtyard features historic tile paving from the 17th century. The main entrance, commissioned in the 1850s, exhibits a much larger scale and proportions remarkably integrated into the older Malla-period façade. After years of deterioraration the courtyard underwent a thorough restoration in 2011.

